Submitting Research Requests

The GSWC Research Committee does limited research on Washtenaw County residents. Research is usually limited to the materials available in the GSWC library. 
This includes
*Birth (1867-1913)
*County, city, and town histories
*Marriage (1827-1912)
*Cemetery readings
*Death records (1867-1913)
*Index of early newspapers
*Grantor/grantee land deed indexes (1827-1905)
*Early tax records and land records on microfilm
*Probate index
*Washtenaw County plat maps for 1856, 1864, 1874, 1895, and 1915
*GSWC Research Committee correspondence files *Family History Capers
Your request should include the following:
  • Your name and contact information, including email address if available
  • A voluntary donation, payable to the GSWC, suggested amount $10.
Your specific request:
  • Name of the individual and family members
  • Specific information you seek
  • Approximate time period when the person was in Washtenaw County
  • Place in the county, if known
  • Information you already know, including family group sheets, pedigree charts, census data
If sending the information by mail include your check to:   
The Genealogical Society of Washtenaw County, Michigan, Inc.
PO Box 7155
Ann Arbor, MI 48107-7155
  •     And a self-addressed envelope, only if you have no email address.
 If sending the information by email, click below to donate:
AND  send the information specified above under "Your Specific Request" to, with the Subject Heading: Research Request
You may want to check the Library Catalog to find what books are owned by the GSWC.
  • To find books covering Washtenaw County, use the locality dropdown MI-Washtenaw.
  • To locate books specific to a township, use the locality dropdown Township.
The Research Committee will do a look-up for you in a non-Washtenaw County book owned by the library, but will not be able to do follow-up research. 
mmcc 1/6/2023; 1/22/23 SLB; 3/19/24 JT